Sunday, November 10, 2013

Behind my words




I began revising my paper that I had written one of the call for papers that I have written. In it we were tasked with adding an anecdote to the paper. So I thought I'd just share each detail of my process. I don't any pictures because I don't like to write by hand.

I opened my computer. Pulled up Google Chrome. Sat there thinking about what I have to do today. Pulled up my email and moodle account. Checked both. Made notes on what I have to do for each class. Closed out of both. Opened tab. Typed in Google. Pulled up drive. Clicked on Shared with me. Clicked on English 1103 Fall 2013. Clicked on Day by Day schedule. Scrolled down to November 6th and 7th. Read everything in the box. Wrote down what I needed to do. Went back to drive to open collaborative writing. Choose Beauty these days. Clicked on my document. Read my paper. Re-read parts of it. Sat back in my chair to think about what I thought was beautiful. Realized I had put that in the paper. Thought some more about the history of my view on beauty. Looked around the room. Saw a Barbie. Thought about the billions of Barbie's I have at home in my attic. Thought about when did I get my first Barbie. Couldn't remember. Realized they had always been there because of my older sister. Thought about me playing with them. Thought about how I saw them. Thought about how I saw other things. Wrote about my childhood and it's relation to Barbie's. Finished my paragraph. Re-read again the rest of my paper. Sat and thought. Thought about how my view of beauty changed. Thought about when it changed. Wrote some more on my childhood but mostly on my middle school years. Re-read my paper again but all together. Saved it.

I also wrote another draft on "What is Perfect?" So here is my process.

Pulled up Revised call for papers drive. Found the one I chose which is "What is Perfect?". Read what the writes put for us to write about. Thought about it. Re-read it. Opened a new document. Wrote name and title of paper "Perfection". Stretched. Sat and thought about a picture to look at. Thought, "where in the world should I look for one?". Wondered if I have a magazine in my dorm. I don't. Decided to type perfection into Google to see what images would come up. The first image comes up and is this.

I sat and stared at the caption for a while. At first I thought it was directed to men but I then realized it was directed at women and our need for physical perfection. I opened up my document. I wrote my process on finding the image. I then wrote my reaction and then pasted the picture in the document. I thought about women's self-image. I thought about how often we are reminded about it. I wrote about how often we see images of women and the type of women in them. I thought about if there is diversity in the images. I realized that real women were rarely shown and never seen as beautiful. I wrote down my realization. I wrote on the need for a change. I wrote on how this image is an example of how things are starting to change but aren't changing fast enough. I read over my paper. I thought about what we could do to change things. I wrote them down. I re-read my document the saved it.

This process of typing out every action has really helped me get my thoughts together and to monitor my productivity. I think that from now on I'm going to do a step by step documentation of my writing to see where my thoughts go and how I collect them. This helped me think a bit more about what I was writing.

1 comment:

  1. I really enjoyed the publication assignment. I think it showed us a whole different side of english that we as students usually don't get to see. And I want to thank you for writing for my groups publication. It really helped us out.

    ReplyDelete